Saturday, January 07, 2006

Love?

This is not a usual post for me, but I just had to get some things off my chest. I realise there are many different types of love. Some bordering on lust and others platonic in nature. The love for a newborn puppy, affectionate love. The love for the game (whatever sport that might be). God's steadfast love. Just lovin' it (I don't mean McDonalds but it comes close). A parent's love for their child which is pure unconditional love. There is also one-sided love, which seems to create all kinds of problems (unrequited love can be particularly painful, feels like being stabbed in the heart with a rusty saw.)

In the past, I had believed that every different relationship had a set type of love. For example, the way a parent loves their child is normally unconditional, never just 'affectionate'. It is only recently that I discovered/feel, that there can unconditional love for another person, not blood related to you. Where the person may or may not like you, may even do things you don't like or simply do things you don't want them to do, yet you still support them and just want them to be happy.

It is a sad and true logic that love doesn't make the world go round, (neither does money) and sometimes being the best person is better than being the one that loves the most. Having said that, I believe love IS important, but not at the expense of everything else.

Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.
1 Cor 13:4-7

Sometimes I wish I was like God, not for the power He has at His fingertips, but to understand the unconditional love and compassion He has. How powerful He must be, to have unrequited love a billion times over, yet never suffer for it, just continuing to love.

(I'll complete my song within the month, a love song for God if possible :) I'll try to stop acting weird in a few days time)

No comments: